Saturday, 21 July 2012

Honey Fungus or Boot-lace Fungus

Honey Fungus
This pretty little picture is of a honey fungus. It is quiet distinct from other mushrooms because of its shaggy, honey coloured appearance. It is mildly poisonous when eaten raw, but when cooked it is excellent but should not be eaten in excess. Often found in large numbers.

There is another mushroom which is inedible but very similar called the Shaggy Scaly Cap (Pholiota squarrosa) shown below, this can be easily avoided as it has a ringless stem, yellow lighter, flesh colour and grows mainly on conifers.

Shaggy Scaly Cap
So to sum up: 

Honey fungus: Orangey, darker colour, creamy white gills.

Shaggy Scaly Cap: Yellow, lighter colour, blue-grey gills.

No comments:

Post a Comment